Thursday, July 6, 2023

Chapter 528 2023 Meeting

 So I definitely wish my EAA chapter was more active like I hear other ones are.  My chapter hasn't met for quite some time.  It's really disappointing to me as I want to get to know these guys and hopefully have them come assist or give me tips on my build.  Many of the people who come to the meetings I am finding are not actually builders, but many have bought completed RV's or other homebuilts.  You hear lots of chatter about people needing an A and P or looking for someone to look over the plane.  There is one person who is kind of the tech counselor, he is actually the RV-10 owner thats local, so that is a great benefit as a resource.  The other person who runs the chapter built and RV-7 and had built another early generation RV years ago.  So I am hoping to get these two to be more involved and lend a hand at times.

So we met up at the hangars out at FOK last month and got to chat and relax awhile.  A builder who is just about done with his Sonex showed off his build.  His build just did Taxi testing and is doing some final cowl work now.  He is excited to get that process going.

Another person I met was someone building an RV-12 based out at Mattituck.  He's a retired career helicopter pilot between the military and police department who is now enjoying the extra free time he has.  He's been making good progress on his kit and has a lot of the parts on hand so he isn't being delayed by much.  I am eager to see how his build progresses and hope we end up visiting him later this summer and seeing his project.

NY, especially downstate, has a serious problem with hangar availability and the cost of that.  Between the efforts to close the East Hampton airport, and the serious influx of traffic, the hangars are hard to find.  The guy building the Sonex was on the waitlist for 5 years before he finally got offered one.  I guess I need to get on the list, but I don't want to get a call and be unprepared.  

We all had a nice afternoon and had some pizza over our plane chatter. I am hoping that COVID is now over, we will meet a little more often and the guys who are actively or have previously built will get a bit more hands on with helping or pointing me in the right direction.  I really want some extra eyes to give me tips, feedback, and insure I am moving in the right direction before I get into the really big and expensive pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Break

 So I haven't been in the garage much during the winter.  The weather has been crappy and cold and I have been busy with the kids.  As w...